Curious about the MLA Program?
Join us for an info session! Information sessions offer an opportunity to learn more about the Master of Liberal Arts. MLA faculty and students will discuss the program and the application process, and answer your questions.
Upcoming information session:
May 17 2022
There is no 'typical' MLA student. Our students are diverse in age, background, culture, profession, and in their expectations for the program. We are seeking an energetic group of people who look forward to a rigorous program of broad exposure and intellectual growth.
Applicants must have
- A bachelor's degree (or international equivalent) from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association (applicants with an international bachelor's degree can check that they meet the minimum level of study required here)
- A minimum 3.0 GPA from the student's undergraduate institution (the admissions committee also gives consideration to postgraduate experiences and recent accomplishments)
- Significant background, coursework, and/or accomplishment in the liberal arts. This can include undergraduate and/or graduate coursework, courses taken through continuing studies programs, volunteer work, or careers in related fields.
International applicants: Please note that as a part-time program, the MLA program is not able to sponsor student visas.
Knight-Hennessy Scholars: Please note that the MLA is a part-time degree, so MLA students are not eligible for the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program.
Admission to the MLA program is highly selective. In addition to the eligibility requirements listed above, applicants must demonstrate graduate-level writing facility and critical thinking skills. The committee bases its decision on the candidate's total application; no single factor from the application is decisive. The committee takes into account an applicant's background, GPA, and professional experience, and pays particular attention to the applicant's writing and letters of recommendation.
- May 17, 2022: Information Session
- August 2022: Information Session
- September 2022: Online application opens
- October 2022: Information Session
- January 2023: Application materials due for the 2023-2024 entering class